Improve Lynx by supporting Transit Equity Day
Monday (Feb. 4) is .
No, there won’t be any parades and you don’t get the day off from work.
Transit Equity Day is a national observance that was created to call attention to the importance of public transit. This date was selected because it was the birthday of , who is credited with launching the Montgomery Bus Boycott (1955 to 1956) to end racial segregation on public buses.
We share the belief of Mrs. Parks, and the late Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., that access to public transit is a civil right. (If you don’t have a car and can’t afford one, then how do you get to work, the doctor, or shopping for groceries?)
The goal is of Transit Equity Day is to recognize the importance of public transit to everyone because it:
· Helps reduce traffic congestion
· Improves our local economy and create more jobs
· Protects the environment from toxic emissions, which helps to counter the catastrophic danger of global warming.
What can you do to observe Transit Equity Day?
· If you already use Lynx, SunRail or Votran, to create a poster for a selfie to share on your social media to show you’re a supporter.
· Call and email local, state and federal elected officials and tell them we need more money invested Lynx, SunRail and Votran for more buses and trains to improve the service and make them easier and more convenient to use.
· At your daily work team meeting, mention today is Transit Equity Day and tell your colleagues why you use the train or bus.
· If you usually drive, but want to include public transit in your work journey, to visit our friends at rethink Your Commute.
Happy Transit Equity Day!